An agreement signing ceremony for the Coalition on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology, Asia (CREATe Asia) took place on 9 August 2023 at Thailand Science Park, coinciding with the 16th International Convention on Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology (i-CREATe 2023). This agreement marks the renewal of a commitment among Asian organizations, which was initially formalized through the first Memorandum of Agreement in 2015, to promoting the development, provision and use of assistive technologies across the Asia Pacific region.
At present, CREATe Asia consists of thirteen members representing ten economies in the Asia Pacific region:
- Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association (ARATA)
- China Association of Assistive Products (CAAP)
- University of Shanghai for Science and Technology (USST)
- Hong Kong Occupational Therapy Association (HKOTA)
- Hyogo Institute of Assistive Technology (HIAT)/Hyogo Rehabilitation Center (HRC)
- Rehabilitation Engineering Society of Japan (RESJA)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Independent Living Charitable Trust, New Zealand (ILCT)
- Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS)
- Korean Association of Assistive Technology Professionals (KAATP)
- Rehabilitation International Korea, Seoul (RI Seoul)
- Taiwan Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society (TREATS)
- National Science and Technology Development Agency, Thailand (NSTDA)
The signing ceremony took place under the presence of Prof. Dr. Pairash Thajchayapong, Chairman of i-CREATe 2023 Organizing Committee. NSTDA was represented by Dr. Chai Wutiwiwatchai, Executive Director of NECTEC-NSTDA, who participated in the signing.
i-CREATe is an annual conference initiated by Singapore and Thailand in 2007 and is now organized by CREATe Asia with member organizations taking turn to host. The recent i-CREATe 2023 was hosted by NSTDA, featuring keynote lectures by world-renowned experts, four concurrent sessions, a poster session, six workshops, Global Student Innovation Challenge, and an exhibition.