As countries around the world, especially in the West, are embracing BCG concept and move forcefully with various platforms to facilitate and support the implementation in all processes - ranging from research & innovation, to technology management and commercialization - and collaboration at local and international levels, it is essential for ASEAN to take a collective action on this issue. An ASEAN Network on Bio-Circular-Green Economy (ASEAN BCG Network) is proposed and endorsed at the 79th Meeting of the ASEAN Committee on Science, Technology and Innovation (COSTI-79) and the 11th Informal ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Science, Technology and Innovation (IAMMST-11) on June 2021.
ASEAN BCG Network is a coalition of public, private and non-government organizations in ASEAN with strong interest in BCG aiming to strengthen ASEAN capacity in research, development and technology diffusion to enable the adoption of applicable technologies for sustainable development. The network will serve as a gateway to catalyze collaboration with other non-ASEAN organizations in research, technology demonstration, technology localization and commercialization on BCG.
The economic benefit has garnered the attention of industry to BCG agenda. Therefore, special emphasis will be given to initiate projects such as technology demonstration, technology localization and commercialization to facilitate technology diffusion and adoption in the industrial sector.
- To raise awareness on the relevance and benefits of Bio-Circular-Green Economy as solutions to boost ASEAN economy post COVID-19 era.
- To promote the exchange of experience between ASEAN and the other regarding BCG economy strategies, policies and business model.
- To serve as a platform to promote collaboration among ASEAN members and between ASEAN region and international organizations in the area of capacity building, technology demonstration, technology localization, technology transfer and research collaboration under BCG economy.
- To advocate and facilitate the adoption and implementation of innovative technologies in the BCG economy in the social and industrial sectors.
Beneficiaries of ASEAN BCG Network :
- Researchers and innovators : Researchers and innovators in ASEAN will directly benefit from network activities through scientific seminars and workshops. As the network serves as an ASEAN gateway, collaboration with non-ASEAN researchers will be enhanced and external funding will also be made possible through non-ASEAN partners.
- Businesses : New type of business arising from BCG such as clean tech, upcycle, etc. will emerge in ASEAN through activities such as technology mart which helps expose ASEAN entrepreneurs to new business opportunities and potential partnership with non-ASEAN tech enterprises.
- Manufacturing and service sectors : Manufacturing and service sectors in ASEAN looking for innovative solutions to circularity and green manufacturing will benefit from activities such as technology mart, as well as projects such as technology demonstration, technology localization and technology transfer initiated by the network.
As BCG covers a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines, industrial applications and even the environmental conservation, it is envisioned that ASEAN BCG Network can engage and collaborate with multiple organizations, international agencies, and other ASEAN sectoral bodies.
- ASEAN sectoral bodies responsible for environment, agriculture, health, energy, trade and investment.
- E-READI is an EU-ASEAN dialogue instrument that will be instrumental in connecting ASEAN BCG Network to EU communities to find partners for research and commercialization.
- Embassies and Chambers of commerce of non-ASEAN countries located in Thailand/ASEAN can facilitate ASEAN BCG Network in inviting potential research organizations and tech companies to explore research/commercial collaboration with ASEAN.