NSTDA and the National Innovation Agency (NIA) recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Huawei Technologies to collaborate on research and innovation. The signing ceremony took place on 6 June 2018 in Bangkok, Thailand, with the presence of Deputy Prime Minister Dr. Somkid Jatusripitak, Science Minister Dr. Suvit Maesincee, and Mr. Guo Ping, Huawei Rotating Chairman. Representing the three organizations were Dr. Narong Sirilertworakul, NSTDA President, Dr. Pun-Arj Chairatana, NIA Executive
Director and Mr. James Wu, President of Huawei’s Southeast Asia Region.
The MOU provides a framework for joint research and innovation for global market, particularly addressing the following areas:
- Developing deep technology to advance the Thailand 4.0 agenda;
- Strengthening communications and coordination throughout the innovation planning and development, and fostering collaboration in existing areas of cooperation;
- Developing a conducive ecosystem for startups in Thailand;
- Promoting public-private partnership and enhancing human resource development through Huawei’s OpenLab and Customer Solution Innovation & Integration Experience Center (CSIC);
- Facilitating dialogues between scientists, experts, innovators, and other researchers; and
- Conducting research into ICT basic theories.